Roo? Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tallyhoally, Mar 1, 2014.

1. tallyhoally

tallyhoally Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    [​IMG]I inherited a flock in Dec. former owner said they were maybe 10 weeks. Which would make them 19 weeks now. But he was just guessing. I do know one of them still sounded like a baby chick. Since we have been learning on the fly I wanted to know if anyone had an opinion concerning age? Breed? or if this one is a Roo? [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Yes, that is some sort of game rooster. You can see the saddle feathers over his hips.

He looks fairly mature, so he could be older than 19 weeks. Are the pullets laying?

3. tallyhoally

Mar 1, 2014
    I have 2 more that I think are hens. Guessing they are not going to be good layers. Is that right? Will the Roo be mean?I also have 2 that are lighter colored and more speckled. They are laying green eggs. I think maybe they are older. You can see one here. [​IMG]

4. tallyhoally

Mar 1, 2014
    Pulleys are not laying. Just the older speckled ones. Sorry for the lack of terminology. Love learning all about them though.

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    The bird in front with the butt to us is an EE female.
    The one to the right is the game rooster right?
    And the red/white one on the left is iffy, could you get a better pic if it standing parallel to the camera? It's important to be able to see any evidence of saddle and hackle feathers. As well as comb/wattle development.

6. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    You guessed your roo correctly. He's not looking too much like a game type roo but thats just my opinion. He looks more like a Buckeye. The hens that are laying green/blue eggs are Easter Eggers and they are usually good layers. I am just guessing on the rest. The one that is red/gold with white is she one of the blue egg layers? The dark red with black looking tails and pea combs.. maybe Buckeyes too? Buckeyes are a dual purpose bird for egg laying and meat..so not spectacular layers but not poor at it either. The dark red one with small single comb and black tail maybe a Rhode Island Red? As far as the rooster being mean they can be mean..some can be more gentle. Time will tell. Just keep an eye on him if he is around little children because roos will jump when they attack and they jump head height on toddlers and young children and can really hurt them.
    Anyhow.. pictures of each individual chicken with front views showing combs/wattles and side view showing legs, head and whole body and tail will help us pin down breeds and sex of each one much easier. [​IMG]

7. tallyhoally

Mar 1, 2014
    Thanks guys! I will get some good pics tomorrow. We have 4 acres so if he's a little mean at least we are not on top of one another. So far I can pick him up and he will sit in my lap. But he's also not crowing or chasing the girls yet. He did Chase my dog a little, which isn't such a bad thing. Looking forward to getting your opinion on the pics tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by