Roo chased me arround the yard!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brooster, Jan 9, 2008.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I was out collecting eggs, and i picked up my one of my brahmas. She always screams wen i pick her up. Well, one of my roos attacks me. I back out of the run with a chicken in my arms, and he comes out with me. He keps jumping on me i kicked him and he kept comming back. I was walking backwards with a chicken im my arms, and kicking a rooster. [​IMG] I kicked him i bet 30 times. Only once did i kick him hard, he went about three feet. I chased him arround the yard for about 5 minutes, then he layed down under the pine tree i was chasing him arround. I pulled him out from under it from his tail. He had blood at the front of his comb. I threw him in the hog pen, and went to the coop. My brahma thought she was a roo and started making funny roo sounds. I went to the hog house and went tried to catch him to put him in a cage. He jumped up at my face, then he jumped about 4.5 feet on top of the hog house. I hit him off before he jumped off into the yard. (i didnt want to chase him again) He hit the fence, and i felt bad so i left him. What should i do? I have been trying to keep him, i have been holding him every night for about 20 minutes trying to get him a little more friendly. The only thing i can think why he attacked me other than making a hen squak is i was wearing a different pair of shoes than i normaly wear. I dont want to get rid of him, but i dont think i will ever get him to like me again. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    There is a link posted in several threads about this same thing. I links you to an article titled "Keeping Your Rooster Sane" Hopefully somebody will post the link for you. Anyway, it's an excellent article about you being the head rooster, and how to go about doing that. I think if you stick to what it says, you will be able to control him.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

My uncle had a RIR rooster that would constantly attack when anyone went into the coop. You'd have to kick your way into the back room and shut the door while you gathered eggs and kick your way back out. I vowed that I would never keep a rooster like that. It's not for me to decide for you, but if he was mine, I'd get rid of him. I have small children and if a roo attacked one of them, there would be no forgiveness.

4. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    It was probably the hen's squawk that did it. Maybe it had an extra note of panic in it that day, or something.

Roosters want to protect "their" hens. It is a good instinct, but it can be misplaced and directed at their owners--you! If they interpret what you are doing as a threat, they will probably attack you. (Just think what he might do to a varmint trying to hurt your hens!)

5. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    I have heard that if you wear something *completely* different than you normally wear, like a hat or overalls or boots instead of sneakers some roos will not take kindly to that.

Mine don't care either way. [​IMG]

When I go in to feed, water or hang with them they do their little cawing and that's fine. It's when they start to mount or scratch around the hens in front of me that I try to discourage that.

I read that they are trying to prove you off by doing this and although none have rebelled...[​IMG]

I rather be safe than sorry.

Good luck though.

Pedro [​IMG]

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Have you been back out by him? Maybe it was just the way the hen squawked. My rooster generly stays away from me after being taught who is boss (kicked, held and petted, held by feet upside down and lectured) but, every once in a while one of the girls will squawk funny when I pick one up and he will come after me. I have found just putting the hen back down calms him and we're okay. Your putting him in the hog pen where he couldn't see she was alright maybe why he was aggressive when you went back there to get him.

Good luck, I hope it is just a simple matter and not something more serious that caused his behavior.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  7. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    that to me sounds like a pretty serious one. dinner bell.

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's happened to me once. I had a different pair of pants on and Slifer went after me with a vengeance. She even got me with her spurs. I was bit and flogged too!

Then there was the time that my Aunt came over with a new pocketbook and Slifer beat the living daylights out of it...Bit, spurred and flogged!

9. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    [​IMG] I'm sorry to laugh, but I can so picture it! I had one of my roos decide to flog me and I chased him, kicking and swinging a 2x2 all over the yard til I finally made contact, I thought I had killed him but when he did get up he NEVER tried that again, he would walk big circles to keep out of my way.
    Read your post again in about a week and hopefully you'll get a laugh out of it then too! Or when the next poor roo master posts!

Thanks again!
    Sylvia

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I wasn't lucky enough to be able to give my uncle's roo a good thrashing because he wasn't mine. He said to only kick him in the chest, not the head or the feet, and only use my boot.
    He never ever learned he wasn't the boss.

Maybe it's because it was my uncle's roo and I hadn't lived there long.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by