Roo Choked on Food

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by murphyfarm, Apr 17, 2016.

1. murphyfarm

murphyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2016
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I went out after feeding the chickens this morning to find my two month old roo laying in the grass almost unresponsive. His crop was full, but his throat and mouth were also full of feed. I grabbed tweezers and pulled it out while massaging his crop and neck. Now he is in the brooder with my week old chicks, is there anything I should do to make sure he lives?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How is the little guy doing? Do you think he was hurt, or that he got the food stuck? I would give him vitamins with electrolytes today, and try using a dropper to give the fluids if he won't drink. Massage his crop several times a day if there is an impaction in his crop, which would feel hard. Probiotics in plain yogurt and a little raw egg would be good to feed tomorrow if his crop is feeling better. Let us know how he is doing.

3. murphyfarm

murphyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2016
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    He is doing so much better now. He slept for about an hour after I posted and now he is running around with the other chicken acting normal. I gave him electrolytes with a dropper and he's back to sleeping again. Hopefully he'll be back on track pretty soon!!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully he will be fine. Theanks for the update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by