Roo, coming into adult hood

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LauraSBale, Nov 16, 2008.

1. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Roo that is that is 19 weeks, and my girls are all so 19 weeks, and i have a couple that are 26 weeks,
    i got my first 2 eggs yesterday, but i have noticed for the last 4 days or so, that he has been trying to do the deed with just 2 of my girls that are 19 weeks.

I'm not sure who laid the eggs,

so i was wondering, does he know who's laying and that is way he want to mate with them?

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I'm not sure what their criteria is, but I don't think it has to do with egg-a-bility on the hen's part. It seems my roo boys are interested in mating much earlier than my pullet girls are interested in being mated, they usually have to chase them around and hold them down protesting all the while. Maybe the 2 your roo is mating with really are more receptive because they're laying, or perhaps they're just the 2 slowest runners...

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I have a roo I keep with 19 hens in his run.

Out of those hens there are 5 that are clearly his favorites, although all the hens are laying.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Usually the hens start submitting to the roos attentions, ie. squatting, about 2 weeks before they start laying. So if you notice a few of the girls aren't running from the roo, they're likely the ones that are laying for you. [​IMG]

5. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sunny_Side_Up
    , or perhaps they're just the 2 slowest runners...

I had to LOL when i read that [​IMG]

thanks everyone.

found another egg today [​IMG]

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by