ROO crowing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ErikaSmit, Jul 27, 2011.

1. ErikaSmit

ErikaSmit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    I have a roo that crows all the time all day long all around the house in the neighbors yard. Is there any solution?

2. LindenLiving

LindenLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Is this your rooster? or a neighbors? If he is young, he is just going through puberty and needs to find his voice. If he is older he may be going senile!!! Actually, have their been any changes in your neighborhood i.e. home construction, kids playing in the yards screaming, etc. This will set off a rooster as well. Our neighbor kids playing in the pool screaming at the top of their lungs seems to be a direct challenge to my rooster and he answers them accordingly. Also the train going through has really set him off lately. My rooster is only 19 weeks old so he is going through puberty and needs the whole world to know he is there.

3. ErikaSmit

ErikaSmit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    He's only 4 months old so it's good to know this will end!! Thank you!

4. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    The only solution that will keep a rooster from crowing is to not have a rooster. [​IMG] Some crow more than others but they all crow, even in the middle of the day.

5. GordieH

GordieH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    West Texas
    I used to go out at 3:30 or 4 AM to milk the goats when I lived in the country. I would invariably hear a rooster crowing even in the total dark.

How old are roosters when they start crowing on average. I have Buffs.

6. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    It varies widely but usually but usually between 10 and 15 weeks old.

7. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    I am new to chickens too. We have 13 "chicks" that range from 3 - 5 months. We have 3 bantams in the mix. Our RIR started crowing at about 12 weeks. It was funny the first time we heard him. Sounded like a sick cow or someone gargling [​IMG] I actually felt sorry for him! He is not loud now at all. He will crow a few times when we let everyone out of the coop in the morning. Here and there during the day too but not often. I love hearing him! To me there's nothing like being in the country and hearing the roo crow. I find it soothing......I've seen one of the bantams trying to crow now. They are the younger ones.

8. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

My roostre crows when the hens lay an egg. Also crows at first hint of daylight.

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I don't know how hopeful you should be about the crowing ending! Maybe subsiding, a little! My roo is 2 years old and crows all the time. In the morning, during the day, in the evening, in the night, when a dog barks, when a person speaks louder then he thinks is appropriate, if a stranger is near, if I show up in different shoes, when the wind blows, when a hen lays an egg, because he feels like it.... any one of a bazillion reasons! He's a rooster, crowing is his thing. Some are quieter then others but many crow, and crow, and crow! [​IMG]

10. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    i have a lil banty that was pecked pretty bad on his neck as a chick - and his crow still sounds like a beginner - probably will never get better ... funny

luckily when my boys crow - i hear others so iknow the neighbors are used to it and won't fuss - we are out in the country anyway - no laws saying i can't have em

i have a rir who is just now finding his voice - i love how they sound ... so big and bad lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by