Roo dance?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HenHoarder, Oct 16, 2015.

1. HenHoarder

HenHoarder Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2015
    Wake Forest NC
    I found a darling little olive egger and introduced her to the rest of the flock today...

The other girls don't seem to care, but Clifford is beside himself. He's a year old and I've never seen him act like this before - he does mate with our other hens.... and he's been at this funny little dance now for a few hours.

Is he in love? Or trying to intimidate the new-comer?

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    he's courting her. It's cause she's the new girl and basically ignoring him, he's trying to get her attention and get her to squat for him.

2 people like this.
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey there HenHoarder

First up, not being allowed to have roosters, I have no experience with them but I do enjoy watching videos of them and reading tales of their bravery, kindness to their hens and flock protection etc.

Your video is gorgeous! … aaaaw, I do believe Clifford may just be smitten and who can blame him, she is a pretty hen and he is a very handsome fella [​IMG] .. they will make a beautiful couple; when she actually notices him [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. HenHoarder

Aug 17, 2015
    Wake Forest NC
    That makes sense.. I think she has been too busy exploring the new pen to even realize this show is all for her!!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    x2

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Great video...he's actually being quite the 'gentleman'.

7. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

That's what I call an 'ahhhhh' movie. So cute. He's trying his best to impress her, she won't give him the time of day and is playing hard to get. Our roos do the same thing in the morning when I let them loose. They race from one hen to another dancing their little brains out and all the girls want to do is have a go at the feeder so they ignore them.

I hope true love wins out![​IMG]

8. HenHoarder

Aug 17, 2015
    Wake Forest NC
    He really is a sweet rooster! We got really lucky, because we had a barred-rock roo a year ago who terrified me and all the other chicken ladies around him as well. When this RIR "hen" started to crow I was ready to give him the boot without asking questions, but the husband insisted we keep him.

Clifford will eat right from my hand and hop up on my knee like a cat does if I'm sitting out on the porch. (Really makes me look like a totally insane hillbilly but I'm okay with it.) [​IMG] Thank goodness there are still some gentlemen out there!

9. HenHoarder

Aug 17, 2015
    Wake Forest NC
    I think olive egger + RIR would have darling babies if true love wins out!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by