Roo dances

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by k625, Jan 4, 2008.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Hey everyone, I know this has been asked before, but I couldnt find much on when searching. How do you tell the difference between a good roo dancea and an agressive one. My rooster has just come ot age, and has been crowing now for about 3 weeks. When I was out today taking pictures an I kneeled down next to him he put his wings down and stomped his little feet at me. He hasb ene doing this alot, and also to the other roo and chickens. If someone could explain the dances for me that would be great. Thanks so much.

2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    The dance you are describing is probably the mating dance. When my roo did this to me, I picked him up to let him know he wasn't to mess with the boss. Of course now... he is way beyond picking up, couldn't catch him if I tried. Now he is sparring with me and just about anyone who gets near him.

3. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I hope its the mating dance, and not the mean dance. I can catch him for sure....mainly becuase hes a silkie, and he cant fly lol. Thats a bummer that hes being so mean to you.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

That's the roo dance for sure. Don't let him do that to you because he's pretty much telling you that you're his woman!!! Do what countrygirl said and either pick him up or chase him off.

5. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Ohhh ok I gotcha. I will def. not let him do that to me anymore. Lol that is funny though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by