Roo decision

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Sep 18, 2010.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    One of my hens just had four babies. One of them is clearly a barred rock. But it would be a barred rock farm mutt mix. (Mom is true barred rock, dad not so much.... [​IMG] )

I have three barred rock hens. None of them have given any sign of becoming broody at any point. But, I was thinking about moving the new barred rock who I suspect is a roo, [​IMG] into the small coop with the three hens (when he gets old enough obviously) and not collecting eggs just to see if I could get some barred rock chicks.

Since the chick is not pure bred, I would do it just because I like the black chicks.

Bad idea since he's not pure?

Bad idea since he would be potentially mating with his mother?? [​IMG]

Thoughts?!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Lots of people have "mutt" chicks, meaning mixed breeds, including me. Nothing wrong with it as far as the health of the chickens. Hatcheries do it all the time to increase egg production. Personal choice.

I'd have to research the genetics section about the mother/son mating. Some intrafamily matings are fine and some not so fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by