Roo Doesn't Like Certain Humans?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HetaChick, Feb 8, 2013.

1. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    Have you guys ever had a rooster who literally hated some people and loves others?

I have been hearing my rooster has been going after my mom and today I saw him try to attack my grandmother though the fence (he can't get through so she's totally safe) but I was in the run with them and he was totally fine before she came out. He lets me pick him up and has never chased or tried to attack me ever, and I take him in and out of the run to his cage everyday. He even started to crow aggressively as a challenge, he barely ever crows when I am around am except to woo the ladies. I didn't realize that they distinguished between people, all of my family is female and around the same height as me but he is only friendly towards me now. I don't know what this is about. Has anyone dealt with this?

I have two roosters and if i have to rehome him I will but I REALLY do not want to, it's almost a death sentence to get rid of roosters most of the time.

ps: He lets me reach out and poke his beak even. He doesn't respond defensive or aggressively, he actually pecked me back really gently like the affection from my hens.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    They are like dogs, hey only reconized who ever handles them ! My very gentle rooster does not like my daughter!. you can get a squirt bottle and squirt him if he try to attack.

3. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    Good idea, that might help. He is so beautiful and good to my girls, I know he's just protecting them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by