Roo doing what a Roo is suppose to do!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kidd42, Jul 31, 2011.

1. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    We have a flock of two year old hens that we raised from fluff balls, and a flock that we got this past Feb at the local feed store. We purchased two Modern English game hens hoping to get a hen and a roo. Well we ended up with 2 roo's from the game hens. I keep one roo in with our flock of banti's and the other roo, Thor is in with the big girls. Thor will always challange me when I go into the main hen house, or when they are free ranging. Sometimes my older girls will protect me when he goes into his attack dance. They puff up their neck feathers and get between Thor and I then he backs down. So we have been tossing up in the air if we should keep Thor or have him for BBQ. Well this morning he proved himself and has a high place of honor in my book. I let the girls out to free range along with Thor at sunrise this morning. I was relaxing having a cup of coffee when I noticed that the girls were all making a strange noise, the alarm sound. I told my wife that something was up, so I went out to check on them. As I came out on the back deck, sitting on the rail looking down on the free range yard was a hawk. Most of the girls had taken off under the sunroom or into the cover of the hedges that line our property. Thor was standing down the hawk with his feather's all puffed up ready to do battle. He had two of the girls backed up along the fence of the run, protecting them. Now this hawk out weighed Thor by a good few pounds, but he was ready to fight. When the hawk saw me it took off, I went down to do a head count and make sure all were OK. Thor challanged me as I entered the yard, but did back down. I gave the flock some 3 way hay to calm them down and stood and watched as Thor stood on a rock watching over HIS flock as they peacefully scratched around. As much as he can be a little pain in my butt at times, he is doing what we wanted a roo for, to protect his flock. This little scrapper has gained new respect from me and will continue to enjoy life doing what a Roo is expected to do, even if it means I have to carry a spray bottle to back him down at times.

2. mommahen64

mommahen64 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    That's a great story. I have three roos now and am not sure what's going to happen. One is in charge of his two siblings but terrified of everyone else (5 older hens and a peaceful silkie roo). Hopefully they will sort it out as they get a bit older. Thanks for the story - something to keep in mind when decisions have to be made.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    what a great story...I LOVE reading this heroic tales of our roos....mine are still young...17 weeks, and the roos, I have 3, one will be gone this coming week...but the alpha one is quite dominant...not that I want to see anything like this, but then I do....exciting and makes you proud of your choice in keeping or cooking!

Yeah Thor![​IMG]

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good Thor. Extra treats for Thor.

5. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Thor will actually give his treats to his girls. He really is a pretty good Roo when it comes to his girls, It's funny to watch him gather them up at night to roost. He's from this years brood so he is young and learning how to be a good Roo to his girls. He seems to be turning out just fine.

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I am excited to see my roo do these things...he is only 17 weeks now, but I watch him closely...he monitors all the girls and if one walks away, he usually follows and makes sure she rejoins the rest....cool....

7. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Fantastic story! Brought a tear to my eye....thanks for sharing it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by