Roo down, how long till recovery

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by growinupinfl, Nov 19, 2011.

1. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    I posted in another message about my roo who went down and it seems from a mite infestation. How long will it take for him to rebuild himself up. How long should I keep in the house, would giving him eggs, and possibly some meat help him recover. How long should it take? He was treated for the mites with Sevin dust and we are going to treat with ivermicin tomorrow

Christal

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Depends. If they took the roo down it could take a week or more or he could bounce right back. Mites cause anemia so bloor building is good..increase his meat protein with some cooked ground beef, cooked fish, scrambled eggs and so forth..watch for bones of course when feeding fish. Get him on some vitamins will help also. Make sure to re-treat with ivermectin in 10 days and give him plain yogurt the day after orprobiotics to re-establish good system bacteria for digestion.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Also consider treating all other birds and coop for mites...do complete coop cleanout or you will get a reinfestation.

4. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    We did treat them all with Sevin dust this afternoon, well all except the Turkey that jumped up on a coop roof he camps out on and splatted mess from a top all over my daughters (the one who wanted him) face [​IMG]. That is what she gets for naming him LucyFur.. LOL.. But yeah we treated them with that, tomorrow we will seriously clean out the coops.

Can wazine be used like Ivermicin?

Christal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by