Roo/Feathing question??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovin'mychicks, May 11, 2009.

1. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I have 9 2.5 week old Mille Fleur chicks. One of them is way a head of the other as far as feathering goes. I do not think "he" was the first to hatch or anything, "he" also seems a little taller than the rest. A fellow chick lover mentioned that it might be a rooster. What do you guys think? Any link between feathering and sex??[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    There are some feather sexing breeds, however it is determined by how the parents feathered and how they are matched up to produce offspring that are sexed by feathering. That being said, I would say anything goes most of the time and it is not a reliable method of sexing chicks. What breed do you have (mille fleur is a color)? Some breeds can be sexed pretty early just by how they look - bigger combs, more upright stance, etc. Post some pics of them and maybe we can help.

3. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    Sorry!! I was looking to double check my spelling on "d''uccle" I forgot to add it back to my post! That is what these babies are.

I thought it was a sex-linked trait in some but was unsure about the "in general."

Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by