Roo fighting now I see why

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kidzmom5, Dec 2, 2009.

1. kidzmom5

kidzmom5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    Well my two roosters for the last days have been fighting and I couldnt figure out why until I saw that one was dancing around a hen then it hit me that they were fighting over the girls. So I gave one rooster away Im kinda sad but oh well he went to a nice farm with hens only so I know he will be happy.

2. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    I'm sorry, I know how hard it can be. I gave away 2 roos a few weeks ago...it still hurts

3. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    I'm just glad that my boys get along. It's really amazing since they were full grown when they were introduced to my flock and to each other. Since Big Daddy is so much bigger than One-Eyed Jack, he could really put a hurtin on him if he wanted to. They've been with the flock in my henhouse now for about three months, without so much as a feather out of place.

Do you suppose I'm jinxing myself bragging about them?

4. kidzmom5

kidzmom5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    Its quite possible cuz my roosters were brothers and they did fine together for seven months and then I swear they dont stop fighting for the last couple of days either. So i had to calm everyone down and its funny right after he left they were all quiet and it just seemed more peaceful. Its very hard on my daughter though she raised the one we gave away and she cried a little but she had to understand that if they stayed together then they probably would of killed each other. They were bleeding the other day from it but now since healed. Hopefully your roosters dont have issues. Another issue is I only have 3 hens and there were two roosters someone said to get more hens but I dont want a big flock so i kept it really simple.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by