roo fighting roo. help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jhd0997, Jun 14, 2016.

1. jhd0997

jhd0997 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Kentucky
    We have 2 white leghorns, 4 1/2 months old. Have been together since beginning and They are separated from our 6 hens. Both roos recently started crowing and today we noticed one roo bullying the other. Literally fighting. What should we do? Definitely don't one one to kill the other. Help!

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Are you sure their fighting?maybe just figure who will take the lead?Also,you need more hens to keep those boys satisfied.

Probably what your witnessing is a "spar".Young guys like them need to spar to figure out who will take place as leader.If I were you I would separate them.Put one in with the hens,and one left in the seperted pen.

Are they not stopping?

3. jhd0997

jhd0997 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Kentucky
    I figured it was maybe a "dominant challange" but they didn't stop until we went in and stopped them...and was obvious who was leader! Didn't really want a roo in with the hens just yet but will do if it's necessary. If we decide to, should it be the dominant roo that gets to charm all those hens? Lol

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You have some good advice, and if you are going to put one of the roos with the flock - make it the dominant one. I had 2 brothers fight until they were both almost at deaths door and i had to cull both (they were only 3.5 months old and free ranged, but it seems that neither would back down). I'm not suggesting this is what will happen, I am merely sharing my experience.

Good luck
    CT

5. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    You know its a bad fight when they makw eacothet blead really bad

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    But you can also let them do it naturally depending upon whether their determined to kill themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by