Roo finally starting to crow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rnorris1234, Aug 17, 2010.

1. rnorris1234

rnorris1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    When I went out this morning to check on the chickens, I heard a very strange sound. My 22 week old BLRW roo, Degas, started to try and cock-s-doodle-doo, but it actually sounded like scratchy "er-er-errrrrr" (like a toy with low batteries). The funny thing is the way he was struting around the coop yard like he was hot stuff and he knew it -- puffing up that chest and letting out a pitiful crow.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    He'll get better at it with some practice. My cockerel's first crow was so pathetic that I near died laughing. For the first 2 weeks he was crowing we would bust out laughing at him each time he did it. So pitiful.

3. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    mine just started to crow too! really funny, i had no idea what it was at first, i thought it was the cat! it was very silly sounding. hes not consistant either, i dont hear him every morning yet. sometimes its 6am, sometimes 7:30, i guess he sleeps in some days [​IMG]

4. rnorris1234

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    I hope he doesn't get it in his head to practice day and night. We have one bantam cochin roo who sounds in the morning for maybe about an hour (and he's really not too loud) then he is finished for the day. We live in town (a very small town, and there are other chickens in the neighborhood) and we have neighbors really close by us, so I don't want him to be a problem. I knid of like the sound of the roosters crowing back and forth to each other, but... Right now it is too funny!

5. DurangoCal

DurangoCal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    My cockerel hasn't crowed at all yet. He is 20 weeks on Thursday! Can't wait to hear him!!! I did see him try to mount a pullet yesterday and she just ran from him.

6. scooterward

scooterward Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Lenoir City, TN
    Way too funny! Right now I have 3 roosters (2 are going to freezer camp real soon) and one started on July 5th (at 10 weeks old!). He sounds just like what you said. I was going to post as well because it's no where near a cockle-doodle-do by any stretch but I had no idea how to even describe it nor spell it. A second rooster (15 weeks old) is just now following suit and makes the same sound. I can tell the difference in voices though. I was hoping they are just practicing because it sounds funny and not very macho.

7. Indy acres

Indy acres Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Lebanon In.
    My roo finally started to crow this afternoon and he is 21 weeks old I couldn't believe my ears he sounds soooo funny and you're right he too sounds like he is low on batteries!what a great day I have been waiting for this forever or it seems like it. I can't wait until the mornin!!!!!!

8. rnorris1234

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    Now I am just waiting for the girls to lay an egg! Then I will probably crow!

9. rnorris1234

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    Day 2 update on Degas. Today was too funny -- he jumped up to the highest roost and fluffed up his feathers and puffed out his chest, stretched out to sing, and lost his balance and fell off the perch in mid-crow! Er-er-er-errrrrrrrrrrrr (thunk).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  10. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    omg too funny [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by