Roo floggs hubby but not me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Roy Rooster, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, I have 13 BO hens and I BO Roo named Roy.

Anyway, my hubby works long hours so all chicken care has
    been up to me. Everything from cleaning the coop, feeding,
    giving treats, to egg collecting.

Hubby got home early and wanted to put the chickens to bed and
    Roy wanted nothing to do with him, flogging hubby. Hubby fought
    and won.

I have never had any problems like this with Roy Roo. In fact, when I
    go out to the coop he tries to stay a good distance away from me.

Have I done something right or wrong here?

Any opinions or advice on the matter would be great.

Thanks.

2. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Right he knows you as his keeper and caretaker. You are the head Roo and he knows that [​IMG]

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    N.C chicken Owner :

Right he knows you as his keeper and caretaker. You are the head Roo and he knows that [​IMG]

Yep, My pain in the butt buff orp roo was sweet as can be to me for the most part. When I was in the hospital having our last daughter hubby had to let the chickens out and feed them. Rambo came flying up and bit him HARD several times. After having her I didn't spend as much time with the chickens (she was 2 months premature, and my other girls were 15 months and just turned 6 at the time). By the time things settled down enough that I could spend time with them he no longer even saw me as head roo. I tried to knock him off his pedestal, but gave up after a month or so.​

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Poor DH! Your roo likely viewed him as a threat to the girlz as he is not ordinarily in charge of the nightly tuck-in. I hope everyone is okay!

5. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Thanks All,

hubby is fine just a little surprised that Roy (his beloved roo) flogged him. I did not want a roo but
    he had to have a manly bird out there with all the ladies. So I said OK, but if he ever got to the point
    that he started flogging me he would go. Now instead of me he is flogging him. Kind of funny.

Anyway, he said that roo can stay because he is a good protector of the ladies. We do free range
    during the day.

So I am hearing from you all that...he sees me as the alpha roo and submits to me.
    Since I am the one doing all the chickens chores he does not see me as a threat but more
    as a provider. So really as far as roo is concerned I am part of the flock, the alpha roo.

So for me this is good, but for hubby he may have to work is way to the top, right?

Thanks Again

6. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Yep Good luck to him [​IMG] If anyone goes near my chicken pen Funkey dances (spreads his wings out, fluffs up, and runs beside you all the way to the gate) After you go in the pen with him he goes back to being nice he may try to do the dance agin if so I just pet him. Hes so silly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by