Roo found under coop... Update: RIP. B4 Pics & Now a whodunnit case...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenmath, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Chickenmath

Chickenmath Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Tonight, my son peeked under the coop and found our 10-11 week Roo hunkered down. I reached towards him and he didn't move, so ended up using a board to scoot him over enough to pick him up. He didn't react at all except to open and close his eyes slowly. His legs were curled underneath and for a moment, I though he had injured one of them. Nope.

Here's the background info:
    It's been 85-90 here the past 5 days. Nights upper 50-60's. The "chicks" have never been out of water or food. They had a run of Sulmet about three weeks ago for runny poos (a few had some blood going on but we couldn't tell which chick of the 26 we have--they all acted fine). All came out of it alright and have been eating, drinking, and ranging in the day in an organic-only garden area. 22% feed with random scratch and treats of greens, grapes, eggs during the past week.
    I had the run open this past week and only closed it off last night after all of them were in the coop for the night. I was preparing to do some housekeeping in the morning...No, I did not do a head count at that time. [​IMG]
    Locked them OUT of the coop this morning to clean it out. Kept the run gate closed. Left waterers OUTSIDE the run for the baby Bourbon turks we have roaming the garden area. This means there was food and water available to the Roo at all times, even though I didn't know he wasn't with the chickens.

Found him around five tonight (2 hrs ago). Took him in and inspected vent, crop, wings, legs, eyes, etc. All appear without injury, swelling or other. His comb is quite pale and is drier. His toes are curled under and he won't use legs at all. Feels very skinny/bony. Eyes will open to being moved around. Breathing was very shallow initially but has become deeper now. I have given him about 1/8 cup water via dropper but have had to open his beak for him. He will make swallowing motions but takes no initiative to try and drink on his own. Have him wrapped up in a towel on my lap. Does wake up more if I unwrap him, but then he also fluffs his feathers, so appears as if cold then. Currently soundly asleep wrapped up again. No panting ever seen. No poos to observe.

I am going to provide some sugar water/Gatorade next, but what else can I do? I do know he is dehydrated, but why? Why didn't he just get water and food? What am I missing? What is wrong with this guy? He appeared just fine yesterday and has been a very robust and active Roo until now.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Oh dear, I don't know...yet.....but I agree with getting electrolytes (Gatorade will do...) in him, and keeping him hydrated. Sending lots of good wishes for the poor little guy..............

Pale comb, skinny - indicate the problem has been coming on for awhile.

Could he have worms or mites? I would also give him 3 drops liquid childrens vitamins - Pedialtye - administered via dropper gently and slowly along his beak line so he swallows on his own and doesn't choke. Stuff tastes like crud so would follow with something that tastes better if by miracle he's willing (e.g. soft cut up blueberry...)......
    JJ

3. Chickenmath

May 6, 2011
    I'm doing the carb juice right now. He did squeak out a couple of times when I repositioned him. Hadn't done that yet, so [​IMG].
    He feels bony and thin, but I haven't exactly held the others this past week, so it could be that I just don't know what I'm talking about! Maybe I'll go out to the coop and do that comparison now...After I wash my hands of course...

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Either the sulmet had no effect on your rooster or he didnt drink enough of it to be effective. I highly recommend you treat him with Corid ASAP.

5. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    This might ound dumb but what is corid? I never herd of that at least that I can remember.
    Mollie

6. Chickenmath

May 6, 2011
    dawg53-

Yeah, that was my other thought. I did order some Corid a couple of days ago (not expecting to need it in the so-near future) since the only supply available here is the $95/gal solution. Hope it gets here tomorrow.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Well that stinks! Jefferslivestock.com has the Corid 9.6% liquid solution (16oz) for about $14.

8. Chickenmath

May 6, 2011
    Well that stinks! Jefferslivestock.com has the Corid 9.6% liquid solution (16oz) for about $14

Yes. Yes it does stink!!!

I placed him in our garage all bedded out awhile ago. Just checked on him. He managed a poo! Just that green bile-like stuff. No blood, nor regular brown either. He is definitely running on empty aside from what I've gotten down him the past few hours.
    Squawked (or should I say squeaked?) at me a couple times with moving, but still has the "noodle" legs and curled up feet. Managed to get him to swallow a few more tablespoons of sugar/electrolyte fluids via dropper again.
    I'm really bummed about this roo. He's a B Rock/EE of some sort and has been developing absolutely beautiful copper green feathering. I know I am probably going to have to make some "roo decisions" in the near future regarding our flock of "all pullets" and was planning on him being a keeper for sure. I can only hope at this point...​

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Green poop indicates that he's not eating enough, it is bile. I recommend that you make a slurry of scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk and feed it to him til you get the corid...force feed him if you have to, but let him swallow it on his own. Scrambled egg is extra protein and buttermilk is a probiotic.

10. Chickenmath

May 6, 2011
    Well, He's still alive this morning. I think the e-lytes/vits/sugar/water has helped in that way to give more energy, but...

He will drink a little if I put his beak into the shallow bowl (I have to hold the bowl up to him though).
    The bedding stinks from green bile poo that now has white with some light yellow grainy cream looking texture. He had not moved at all. [​IMG]

***He is drooling big time*** When he does, it come out is a mucousy clear steady stream. [​IMG]

Nose is clear. Eyes are clear.
    Still will not use legs at all. Barely moves wings.

Do we have something respiratory going on after all?

I am thinking it might be too late for this guy (but hoping otherwise), but really need to figure out this mystery to also protect the rest of the flock! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by