Roo gets testy with me....but only when my girlfriend is around

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nickman, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Nickman

Nickman New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    We've raised 12 New Hampshire Reds (one is a roo), and 6 Rhode Island Reds since they were chicks. All are about 4 months, so I knew this was coming sooner or later. Genghis our roo is about at that age. He's still pretty normal when I go out to hang with the chicks by myself, but is visibly frustrated with me as soon as my girlfriend is outside as well. He'll follow me, walk up to me, watch my every-move, and today lowered his wing a bit, as my girlfriend and I were sitting out there, and not in the stretching manner.

He has no problems with the girlfriend, shows none of these signs towards her.

I've read up on what to do as soon as the aggression crosses the line. Just wondering if it makes sense that he only gets aggravated at me during this specific situation.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] I'm figuring that she is a lot cuter than you. [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    This is common among young animals. They displace their aggression toward someone who is familiar to them. Well, actually human beings are apt to display their anger on someone they are familiar with. We call them Teenagers. [​IMG]

Eventually your teenage rooster will challenge you. Now is time to work with him. Good luck! And welcome to BYC!

4. Nickman

Nickman New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    hah well there's that I suppose

5. Nickman

Nickman New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    I see, he's looking at me more as another competitor/roo since I've been around them more, makes sense. Initially I thought that aggression would be more directed at an unfamiliar face. Thanks for the info/welcome [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  6. KarenWoman

KarenWoman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    Imperial, missouri
    I scratch him on his ears. That is why he likes me better.

7. Nickman

Nickman New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    never get my ears scratched, I see how it is

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by