Roo gone Wild!

abbey2140

Songster
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
North Branch, MI
We received a roo and a hen which were tame when they left the breeders house, upon arrival to my house though HE WAS INSANE
duc.gif
! She is still as gentle as can be unless you attempt to grab him out of the cage. He beats himself up something crazy trying to get away and he pecks like no other, this frenzy upsets the hen who then will peck at you until you get out of the cage. Any advice on how to tame this "beast"? I've been holding him a least 3 times a day and I put their cage in an area where people are all the time but he just freaks out. Any ideas? Jerry said to ring his neck lol (gotta say I thought about it when he drew blood though
rant.gif
)

Last edited:
a roo gone crazy? see my thread titled "he's got me shaking in my boots", some where toward the end you'll see a pic of my daughter. he attacked her. and now.......... he's spending his time in freeser camp!

Why try to tame him? I leave my rooster alone except for weekly health checks and he leaves me alone. He's a good provider to the girls and that's all I want from a roo.
When I do need to handle him to do his health checks, I get him off the roost at night after he's settled down to sleep. Gentle as a lamb then.

I dont tame my roos out either....
I had a "tame roo" once and he was the roo that felt that he could attack us... (ooh the battles we used to have!)
lol.png

These other 3 roos i have now are afraid of people... they wernt handled much as babies.... and so they stay away from us and just protect their hens ... i have had no problems with them at all...
I think when you tame a roo out they come to think of us as part of their flock and then they can start to attack you.... just my opinion though..

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Amen! Hens are for loving. Roos are for protecting and providing for the hens. Tame em and they lose all their fear of humans.

I wouldn't mess with him but he is supposed to be one of my son's 4-H birds so they need to be at least a little calmer than the average roo. This guy beats himself up if I attempt to catch him.

Back
Top Bottom