1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo got wet/really cold, thin, mites or lice, has leg mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lylene, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Lylene

Lylene New Egg

Feb 11, 2007
    My big older Brahma roo is not doing well at all. I feel really awful that I didn't see it quicker. With the time change and changing season it's getting dark by 5p. They are generally bedded down when I get out there to give food and water and lock them down for the night. He beds down on the floor on straw with the turkey and a really, really old hen. He can't roost as he had lost his toes to frostbite, I think. Can't remember where we got him or when.

I've seen him eat. He has food in his crop now. As I was drying him though, I noticed he feels thin. They free range, also. Not so much the past couple days. They have access to scratch and 16% layer mash from the feed store.

When I went out to unlock them I found him half frozen. He either fell in the small water dish or tipped it partially and was wet and just laying there.

I quickly brought him in, wrapped him in a towel, then put some straw in the bottom of a covered kitty litter box (minus the cover). He went in that and I set that over the register, resting each end on a small stack of books so air could warm the bottom and circulate in the room. He also got a bit dried with the hair drier but is still damp under the wings.

I made a mix of water, electrolyte/vitamin powder, molasses and a little sugar and floated that in hot water as I syringed him. Molasses for iron and carbs.

I checked his skin and found tiny black critters running around. Not sure if they are lice or mites. We fought lice and scaly leg mites late winter. We won the lice battle. Still fighting with the leg mites. These don't look like the lice from last winter. I put about .3 mL of ivermectin cattle pour-on between his shoulder blades. Thought about bathing him with the Adams shampoo but he's so fragile and I wanted him to save his strength. The directions I was given was 2 drops every 7 days for a total of three doses. (1 drop for bantams. 28 days after last dose before using eggs.- FYI)

There has been one poo. Runny, but I did feed him weird stuff earlier.

I'll be taking care of him myself. No quick access to a grocery store, btw.

Any suggestions on what to do about the lice or mites if he makes it through the night? Shampoo with Adams flea shampoo or stick with the ivermectin?

He seems a tad better. I'm going to give him more of the mix. Any thought on raw egg yolk? Duck (more fatty) or chicken available. Anything has to be liquid, at this point.

Any suggestions welcome.

Additional info... DH just came home and said Sasquach hasn't been looking well for the past few days/week. [​IMG]

Lylene

2. millie481

millie481 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    Marengo, Ohio
    ok...
    do you have dog flea shampoo? is not then use dawn dish soap. give him a nice warm bath and blow dry him on low warm setting. keep him under a heat lamp afterward. some wd40 rubbed on his legs will get rid of those critters on his legs. make sure you also check for any injuries. but if he's infested...he could be getting bled out by those pests. good luck. btw yes to the egg yolk! duck sounds good!

3. millie481

Jan 1, 2010
    Marengo, Ohio
    Yeah he's probably really weak. [​IMG] keep up the vitamins. but the warm bath and blow drying will relax him more than likely. my girls love their bath when they get it. [​IMG]

4. Lylene

Lylene New Egg

Feb 11, 2007
    Really, really bad news. I just fed him again and was looking at his skin. I found a freaking major colony of mites. They aren't on the base of the feather, on the feathers themselves. He's going in for a soak right know.

This is really bad. I have checked other chickens and not seen anything. Afraid this may be the mite that comes out at night. They look a bit reddish.

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lylene

5. Lylene

Lylene New Egg

Feb 11, 2007
    Didn't have Dawn so used Ajax. I'm still shaking from the enormity of this. Finally took him out of the tub I was using and just used the hose to rinse, rinse, rinse.

Will use the flea soap now. I know it could kill him but don't really have any other choice. My poor chickens and turkey will all be infested. I feel horrible.

[​IMG]

6. millie481

Jan 1, 2010
    Marengo, Ohio
    Sorry to hear that it's that bad! Hopefully you got it taken care of in time for him to still have a chance to regain his strengh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by