Roo grabbing hens by head feathers??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Roy Rooster, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    That pretty much sums it up. I have a 16 wk old roo that is grabbing the hens by their head feathers with his beak.
    So for no one has been harmed but is just seems kind of strange.

He is a good roo, shy around humans and not aggressive so this kind of behavior seems a little strange for him.

Is this pre mating behavior or just outright aggression?? [​IMG]

Any advice would be great.

Thanks BYCers.

2. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    He's just maturing and that's how they start in on the girls. When he actually start mating he will grab their neck feathers to help 'hang on'.

I think that boys that age drive the pullets nuts. The pullets aren't ready to mate yet and the cockerels are running around with raging hormones.
    It will calm down once he gets the hang of mating and the girls mature enough to squat for him.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Normal pre-breeding behaviour. They can be very awkward at first but most get the hang of it after a few months.

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Alot of my girls are missing feathers on the back of their heads, that is where the boys hang on. And one of my roos postures heavily around one of my girls. He pecks her, jumps on her back, not getting the deed done... just looks like he is beating her into submission... so far it is working....

5. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, thanks [​IMG]

I had a feeling that it may have been something tied to mating.

He is a good roo, the best, not aggressive to humans or the hens.

Good to know that he is normal.

6. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Also... once HE gets the hang of it the girls will calm down too, and won't scream as much.

7. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, thank so all so much. That is good to know. The girls do scream a lot which
    may make it seem worse than it really is. [​IMG]

I am glad to know that my roo is normal and that the he and the hens are on a learning curve. [​IMG]

Thanks again all.

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Oh, wait until you see his first dance moves and how unimpressed the girls are! My boy is no Gene Kelly... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by