Roo grabing necks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Jun 2, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have 8 16 week olds that the roo has started grabbing the hens by the back of the neck. There is a lot of squawking going on. Is this the first sigh of mating? This just started tonight. If so, how much time will it take the hens to accept the roo or will this happen all the time. I keep thinking something is attracting the birds. Please fill me in. John

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Yup, that's the beginning. When they will begin accepting him just depends on that particular hen, but cocks generally mature faster than pullets so it may be a little bit.

3. k0xxx

k0xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    North Central Arkansas
    Sorta reminds me of time I had to explain to my daughter that her turtles weren't trying to play leapfrog. [​IMG]

4. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    [​IMG]

My 2 little cockerels are doing the same thing toward the girls their age - 18 weeks old. They chase and peck the younger gals - 12-14 weeks old. And Millie, well, I can almost hear them singing "Brickhouse" as they ogle her and try their luck with her. (15 month old hen). Everytime they think she is distracted with food or something they try. More often than not, she turns around and nails them and chases after them. Course they also try the rooster dance and try offering her gifts.

5. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    My roo has come up with a new behavior this morning. He runs up to the hens and stomps his feet. When I first seen this I just busted out laughing. Like he is not getting his way. John

6. sBrickmanHouse

sBrickmanHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Our roo, Huey, is 16 weeks old, too, and last week started trying to grab the hens (same age) by the necks.

At first he seemed to prefer brunettes (we have a mixed flock of brown egg layers, and he thought the SLWs were hott!), but then decided to try his hand with the blondes (BOs).

Unfortunately for him, blonde or brunette, they're having none of it, and chase him off with quite a ruckus.

Poor Huey-- he's got no game. I imagine it will improve eventually, though.

7. Reece Farms

Reece Farms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Ruffs Dale PA
    We have an EXTREMELY large barred rock and at 10weeks is grabbing at the necks...i think he is even confussed at what to do-kinda gets a lost look in his face and wonders around when he is done. Guess he'll catch on soon enough!

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    My Turkens are ripped up from our randy BO cockerel [​IMG] and now I'm thinking no roosters are good roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by