1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo Guilt?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seminolewind, Mar 22, 2011.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Does anyone beside me feel sad/guilty when they have to rehome roos that are really nice, friendly and well behaved? I have too many. But I'm sad.

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Um... yes! You mean that my flock of 16 girls doesn't need 3 roosters??? [​IMG]

One is the roo we like the best (and our head roo), one is a BO which my mom fell in love with and took 3 million pictures of the last time she visited (he's now named in her honor; Fancy Nancy) and the third is a son of our head roo who needs to make it to the freezer, but he's so pretty and sweet, he just hasn't quite made it there yet!

[​IMG] *sigh*

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I've yet to do it. I love my roos so I just keep building. I have a new batch of chicks and I can tell some are roosters, so I will be forced to part with some. [​IMG]

4. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    I had to rehome a great roo last week. I knew I was going to feel bad so I concentrated on finding someone with a good home and rehomed him for free. I even drove over an hour just to drop him off and meet his new dad. He went to a very nice young man who I found on BYC who is going to send me updates and pics. I worried and worried about rehoming him and finally did it when I found the right person. But yes, I still feel bad for the chicks who miss him. good luck!

5. alabamachick

alabamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Alabama
    Psha... I cant even rehome the Golden duckwing OEG that keeps attacking me... I guess when you brooded them in the house for weeks, its rather hard to part with them. [​IMG]

Course if I have to fight him to walk through my yard one more time, Rooster and Rice sounds better and better.

6. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Quote:Ya, my roo was attacking me and my husband (then eventually just me because my husband punted him farther than I would). My husband hated him but I'm a big softy and he never actually hurt me. I rehomed him because I became more tired of hearing my hubby complain then the tiny attack rooster. Plus, Hubby kept threatening rooster soup. ugh.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    YES. I have felt badly.

BUT, this last weekend with the Super Moon, I had an EE roo that a broody hatched out on the 4th of July that kept me awake ALL NIGHT.
    Seriously, he didn't shut up the entire evening and it was so light out with that bright moon.

On Saturday afternoon, after 24 long years since I had processed a roo, our EE roo became Sunday dinner.

And he was delicious.

8. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    I do!!!! [​IMG]

I have to get rid of this beauty because I cannot keep any roos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:We have to? Uh oh. No, no, no, that's not happening here. Only my bestest friends on BYC will get any of my roos.
    [​IMG]

10. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    I had to give my rooster away. I felt super sad and guilty but he is living at the farm I got my original chicks from and he's mating all kinds of girls and making beautiful babies for them to sell this spring!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by