Roo had to go!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henryhoe, Sep 19, 2011.

1. henryhoe

henryhoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    I had to give away my roo, my girls are 22 and half weeks old and have not started to lay! Now that roo has gone will the girls take even longer now to start laying because of the change or will it not make a difference to them??

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    They'll start when they are ready to start. Rooster or no Rooster.

3. 7kids12hens

7kids12hens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    What's the breed? Some breeds start later than others. The rooster (or lack of) may make aminor difference, but only by a week or so while they adjust to the new order of things. I had a lot of bickering when I lost my rooster unexpectedly. It took them about 7 days to settle down. I still got some ggs, but it went down from 5 eggs a day to 2-3 eggs a day. We're 11 days out from Biffs death now, and things are mostly normal, just very quiet:(.I have an up and coming roo, he's just very young yet - about 5 - 5.5 months old. I've just posted a question this morning about when he might crow. You'll be fine without him, but your girls might miss him and you should expect some adjustment. Good luck.

4. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    Quote:4 rir's and 1 light sussex, had to give cuckoo maron away, he was 5 and half months and far too loud, he crowed all day long and we are in a built up area so he had to go!!

5. LynninOK

LynninOK Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    So, is it a Marans thing? My BCFM crows ALL. DAY. LONG. I think my neighbors might not love us anymore.

6. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    Quote:It never shut it's mouth, every time it seen or heard anyone off he went, my friends thought it was funny to talk to him then go home, but they did not live next door to me!!

7. LynninOK

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    That's funny!! My rooster comes up on the back porch and points himself right at the back door and crows his silly head off about fifty times a day. The weather has been nice, so we've had the door open and just used the screen. With our tile floors, and open floor plan, it gives the effect that he is actually in the house with you! So much noise, from one little bird. It's crazy.

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Wow. This Golden Wyandotte I have crows in the morning and I never hear him again. That's it.

9. LynninOK

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    Trade ya??

10. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    I went to visit my wee rooster that I gave to my friend today and glad to see that he has settled in really well with 9 new girl friends!! Maybe i will get a baby girl some time from him!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by