roo has black spots on comb and watery poo

Harlequin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 31, 2010
1) black andalusion i think (TSC bought) 9-10 months old
2) he doesnt move around practically at all, looks like hes sleeping all day, head hangs low like he's depressed
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 4-5 days
4) no other birds are exhibiting the same symptoms
5) no sign of major trauma, black spots on comb
6) idk what happened to him, some of our roosters picked on him one day (unusual) and hes been acting strange since
7) he doesnt eat or drink anything significant, i've tried normal feed, tomatoes, a cricket i found in the house lol, peanut butter crackers (snatched it from one of the kids), and scrambled eggs (thanks to a BR hen)
8) poop is getting runnier every time, white with green in it
9) no treatment has been done except keeping an eye on him and petting him and trying to get him to eat and drink water with vitamins in it
10 ) as far as treatment goes i guess i need to keep it in house because our vet doesnt do birds and i have no clue of ones who do
11) here's pics of him and his "brother" who is blue
12) his bedding is pine shavings.

we have 30 total chickens and none of them are in his condition at all. "Lil Blue Roo" is the closest i have to a comparison of him. he seems to have mites of some sort that i didnt notice before because i couldnt pick him up or catch him easy when he was normal. his comb is much more pale than before and has gotten sorta floppy. he actually has a slightly bigger comb than our big white jersey giant too. this roo is named "Wild Thing" because while he was younger he was absolutely crazy to watch lol.

PIC_001611.gif

PIC_0007.jpg

PIC_0001.jpg

PIC_0037.jpg

PIC_0027.jpg

PIC_0023.jpg

A heavy mite load will kill a chicken faster than you would imagine. You need to treat the entire flock and their coop ASAP. I think it may be too late for him. He looks like he feels terrible, and that is pretty bad in a chicken because they are generally tough as old boots and hide illnesses/injuries very well. I'd separate him and keep him in a warm, dry place. He'd be the first to get treated for bugs. Once you treat him, see if he feels good enough to eat something. I'd definitely keep him inside for a while where he can be pampered because he is going to take a couple weeks to build up a new blood supply. The reason his comb is so pale is likely because the mites have drained him almost dry.

Good luck with him. I hope he makes it.

I highly recommend you immediately use sevin 5% dust on him. Redust him again in 10 days. You'll need to dust the coop, nests, roosts and repeat again in 10 days. Also, You need to visually inspect ALL your chickens for lice/mites and treat accordingly. For the sick rooster; provide him with plain yogurt (probiotic) mixed with crushed boiled egg or canned beef catfood (protein), give this mixture to him to eat. Buy poultry nutri drench at a feed store and give him 2 drops orally 1x a day for 3-4 days. Dont give it to him after the 4th day, it'll cause diarrhea.

the only wet cat food i have is chicken :-/ that sucks. i tried to feed him yogurt but he was totally not interested, not interested in normal feed or bread either. i rubbed yogurt on his mouth so i know he got a very small amount in his mouth, he wasnt happy with me screwing with him though. i dusted him and im (still) watching him constantly. he stayed in the house last night btw CMV and he will for a while. none of the cats seem to mess with him, our great dane either. harley's a sweetheart and doesnt mess with almost anyone though. he's on the right, the harlequin colored one.
august172008005-2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if the mites are making him sick or not, but he is sick, you can see it in his eyes. I would put some antiobiotic in his water and mabe give him some Vet RX and some vitamins/electrolites. Also, see if you can get him to eat some scrambled eggs. If you start seeing blood in his poop that is bad. You should start him on cordid right away.

Hope he is feeling better soon. He is a beautiful bird.

Teresa

fl.gif

Last edited:
^^^ your signature looks about the same as my front yard, the goats are in the back yard. whats the green stuff in his poo? ive tried getting him to drink water but he refuses. that and i know that if you try to force that it can cause them to aspirate which sucks.

The green stuff is bile. Birds that aren't eating well have green poop. Can you dribble some water onto his beak with an eyedropper/syringe? I got a hen to take water that way after an injury. A couple drops each hour will add up quickly and hopefully he'll start feeling good enough to take some on his own.

thats what i was doing, i used the weirdo looking dropper in rescue remedy. i think i might have better luck with a normal one or syringe though

he died yesterday around 11pm, sh*t happens i guess. probably didnt get to the mites soon enough to make a lot of difference. i feel bad about it because an hour before hand he was eating and drinking on his own. not a lot, but it was on his own.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom