roo has gas

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dwa, Dec 26, 2007.

1. dwa

dwa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2007
    This may sound strange but my bantam roo has gas when he poops. Any suggestions or ideas?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Well other then not lighting a match in close vicinity I dont know what to say. What is his diet?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Gas as in bubbles in the poo? If so, it is a possible sign of worms. If it's just a few gassy/bubbly poos, keep an eye on him to see if the others are normal or not.

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My Rooster does that once in awhile, but it's only his first huge morning poo once he gets out into the run. His droppings are normal the rest of the day...Mine get cracked corn at night before bed time. Maybe thats why????? [​IMG]

5. dwa

dwa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2007
    Thanks for all replies. I should have added that his diet consists of laying mash, small amounts of cracked corn and rolled oats. He has been sharing this diet with two hens for some time and the gas attacks have only started recently. He gets out in the yard on an almost daily basis to do some free ranging.

--dwa

6. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    [​IMG] I am bad! I have not heard of that!

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Something to consider:

Laying mash has extra calcium in it to help suppliment the calcium used to produce egg shells.

Over a period of time this extra calcium will adversely affect your roo, who doesn't need the calcium. it can build up around the joints and cause severe leg problems.

8. dwa

dwa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2007
    Should roosters be fed a different diet than the hens? Mine are kept together. How would you go about determining who eats what?

dwa

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I don't give my chickens layer feed. (mostly because of the Roo)
    They get a general poultry feed, and then I give em the Oyster shell to pick if they need to. No problems with my girls or boy so far, and their eggs have strong shells. (even before I gave them oyster shell)

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

They can burp and break wind with the best of us...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by