1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo has pink color to feet now.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TexasChickenLady, Aug 19, 2008.

1. TexasChickenLady

TexasChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Pampa, Texas
    Hello I was wondering if anyone knew why my Roo's feet have gone from being the normal pale white color to redish pink especially in between the toes. I thought maybe it's because we've had so much rain and the ground is wet. I havent noticed is on my hens. What do you reckon? Thank in advance!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Some roos normally have a reddish wash up the sides of the legs and between the toes. My BRs do and RIRs do.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sometimes it has to do with their male hormones...like an attraction to the hens [​IMG]

I should add that I learned that from Hinkjc when I hatched chicks from her Buff Orps and the roosters legs had pink streaks up and down them. So I had asked her that question...... lol

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    During the winter here when it is colder and wetter, everyone's feet get more pink. I do not know the answer to state with conviction, but I *think* it is because they are cold and the blood circulation does up to keep the exposed parts warm- and they appear pink/flushed because of the increased blood flow. Like my own nose/ears/fingers outside. Could be also due to irritation from the mud. If there is no swelling/limping/asymmetry probably nothing to worry about. I do remember one of my roosters was always pinker than the others- he was the one with white legs- probably was just more visible on him than the yellow and slate shanked birds.
    jess

5. TexasChickenLady

TexasChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Pampa, Texas
    Thank's Ya'll![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by