roo has purplish on comb pics attached

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bosoxbratt, Jul 25, 2010.

1. bosoxbratt

bosoxbratt Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Hi all
    I noticed tonight that our rooster has almost like a purpleish color on the tips of his comb ?? He is acting normal and is eating and drinking ?? Not sure if I should be worried or not? His behavior seems no different then ever before ?? IS this normal should I be doing anything for him? here are some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I don't know - do you have any turkeys? I have heard of "blue comb" before, but it was associated w/turkeys.

3. bosoxbratt

Nov 5, 2009
    Nope no turkeys.. just chickens :) he is the only rooster we have and we have 15 girls :) I hope he is ok we are new to chickens so I am a little worried :-(

4. thepiedpiper

thepiedpiper New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    My Buff Orpington roo has it, too. He developed it over last winter. So I assumed it's the result of a bit of frostbite or something similar. It doesn't seem to bother him at all.

5. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    No, it's not frostbite. My roosters get it too. It goes away. It might be hormones or something. I noticed the combs will change quite often. I don't worry about it, my roosters both seem healthy.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

How old is he?
    Purple comb usually means oxygen deprivation.
    He could have poor circulation due to heart disease. I did read somewhere that roosters are prone to heart issues, and more so if there are other roosters around to fight with. Not that this is your case.

7. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

The older they get their combs start to get darker at the end... the same thing happened to my japanese -
    [​IMG]
    See the end of his comb? ...Yup

8. bosoxbratt

Nov 5, 2009
    He isn't that old got him March 20th ..I hope it isn't his heart he doesnt seem tob e stressed out unless it is trying to get romantic with the girls lol and which one to choose lol

9. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I have noticed this with ours too, and he is only 17 weeks or so. Right now it is only the tip of the blade portion (not the individual points but the stuck together part in the back)

It goes in and out, all red then slightly purplish. I don't notice it more when it is hot or after activity (of any kind;)). I had heard the thing about heart disease. I don't know if that's it or not. He seems fine though (unfortunately)

10. lovable82305

lovable82305 New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    our rooster is a little over a year old and he has had this for a couple months... it started out like your roosters and not the tips are back to being red but he has almost like blackish purple dots here and there that are almost like scabs... not sure what it is but none of our other chickens have it we have 2 roosters and 28 hens... our rooster is acting totally normal... if you find out what it is please let me know i have been doing tons of research on this i am really worried i dont want any of our girls to get sick... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by