1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo has stopped crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whitehart, Dec 12, 2012.

1. whitehart

whitehart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Our sweet Roo Phil has never been overly vocal mostly crowing in morning and never all day this summer.Not sure of his age as he just showed up one day,but we think he's about two years old.He's much improved health wise since arriving in July ,very healthy and an all around well ajusted good guy! The question I have is does a rooster crow less as seasons progress to winter and does it correlate with his hens egg production drop?
    My flock of 18 is healthy all of good weight. One more reason for his lack of crowing might be that a neighbor has recently sold her roo and he could be heard by our flock ie no competition. Any ideas on this unusual mystery?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've often noticed roos seemingly crowing to each other, as if talking or competing. Where I live you can hear this between the various neighbors' flocks. I suspect this is the answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by