1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roo hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by panner123, Jun 3, 2007.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    And to those that may know me, NO I haven't been hitting the brandy bottle. You may had read that my grand daughter opened all the gates and let the chickens out. That was a few days ago, finally I have had time to go around to all the coops, to clean them. A couple of the hens had gone back to the nest boxes to set. When I got to the mixed silkie coop, I found my half silkie, half frizzle roo setting on a nest. There were four chicks and five eggs under him. He had a fit when I removed the chicks, but went back to the nest. This is a first for me and I have been around chickens for well over fifty years. Has anyone ever seen the likes? To boot I still have about 150 hens nesting all over 15 arces. Every blackberry bush has a nest under it. By the time I get them all back in their yards, I will have more chickens than the colonel.

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    panner123, nope this a first for me....

With all the gay lifestyle talk one hears today maybe he is......... LOL

bigzio

3. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    As a stay at home heterosexual dad, I take issue with that logic [​IMG]
    And I think that its great that your roo is taking a little responsibility for his kids well being.
    Think how the chicken world would be if more roo's did the same... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  4. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    I personally have never seen it but I know that Chickenduck is a broody roo(he is owned by 4h mom). I have read it several times on here. Count yourself lucky, broody roo's are hard to come by. Congrats to him for taking a bold step in child rearing!
    Kristyne

5. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Kudos to your roo....how sad that everyone assumes that a broody roo has to be something other than a broody roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by