1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Roo?? Help Please...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SoonerMykah, Jul 29, 2014.

1. SoonerMykah

SoonerMykah In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I have an EEer that I suspect is a Rooster, hopefully someone can help here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

His comb is much wider than all the other I have. I have 17 other EEers...
    Thank you for any help....

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You don't mention the age of the birds, but...
    IMHO, I am not seeing any of the telltale signs of a rooster in that bird - no pointed hackle feathers, no saddle feathers. It may just be that it is pullet that is closer to laying than the others. They all mature at individual rates because they are individuals.

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Songster

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Sorry, I can't tell by the pictures, but check his feathers. If his saddle and hackle feathers are pointed, and if he has long tail feathers coming on, he's a boy. Opposite, you have a hen.

4. SoonerMykah

Jul 25, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Sorry they are 8 weeks old. The main thing Im concerned with is the size (width) of the comb. The others have a single, and she/he has a triple.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The comb size wouldn't worry me so much - technically easter eggers are mutts, so the wide comb could be the result of which breeds were used to create the mix.
    If they are just 8 weeks old what would worry me is the redness that is already apparent in the comb. I have looked at your pics several times and I still see no evidence of pointed hackle (neck) feathers or saddle feathers, in fact the hackles look pretty rounded. I'm sorry, but I think it's still too early to tell on a mixed breed like an EE.

6. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    If its 8 weeks old, you wont see any pointed saddle or hackle feathers yet, those dont usually grow in until 12-14 weeks old. If its coloring gets more patchy then it is probably male. Its current coloring is borderline patchy, so just keep an eye out on that until is older, when its the age to be growing in possible hackle and saddle feathers that are pointy.

7. x2

The slight patchiness is what I noticed as well.

8. SoonerMykah

Jul 25, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Thanks so much. I will post more pics in a few weeks. You all are awesome!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: