Roo:Hen Ratio

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by R.M. Hens, May 12, 2011.

1. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    How many roos to how many hens? I have 12 hens and 1 young roo as of right now. I will adding 10 pullets (hopefully only hens [​IMG]) to the flock within the next month.

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

usual ratio (and the one that I use) is 10/1

3. R.M. Hens

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    I was thinking the same thing. Thank ya! [​IMG]

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

If you add a second roo, don't bring in another adult roo... start w/a chick that will grow up as part of the Head Roo's flock... by that, I mean if you get chicks try to bring a baby roo in @ that time. My second-in-command roo is usually a son of my Head Roo... right now (due to the loss of their father) I have two brothers that were raised from day one together... one has taken the Alpha spot and the other Beta.

One roo would be fine for the size flock that you have unless you need to know, for sure, that your eggs are fertile.

5. R.M. Hens

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    I understand. As I said before I have a 4 mo old roo in with my hens now. Or atleast I am pretty sure he is a roo because other than looks he isn't really showing roo signs, but this is my first time with chickens so what do I know. I also have 10 four week olds that are hopefully all ladies but if not, nevermind, I'm not going to say it, they are all hens and that's that. lol [​IMG]

Thanks for your reply.

6. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] My hubby thinks I'm chicken brained! [​IMG] He thinks 4 hens is plenty for my 2year old rooster. Then he worries when Mr. Roo is rough on one of the hens![​IMG] I just make a few calls to breeders friends, and set up plans for new hens to join my flock this summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by