Roo/Hen Ratios

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by enggass, Dec 7, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I know the standard ratio is 1 Roo to 10 hens, but is that just the recommended max?
    Is there a problem if there is 1 Roo to say 6 or 7 hens?
    What happens if you have 1 Roo to say 15 hens?

2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    1 roo to 15 hens is fine.

3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    It all sounds good to me. I guess the RECOMMENDED would be 1 roo for every 10 hens... but I really think that that's a little much. And if you only have one roo in all, than any number of hens will work.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Basically, a one to ten roo/hen ratio is to ensure a couple of things: fertility for breeding (more hens and one roo might not be able to cover them all), and to spread out the rooster love so a few number of hens don't get bare backs (roosters are active fellas).

Lots of folks have fifty hens and one rooster, and some have many more roosters.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  5. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    According to the old timers around this area 1 roo to 7 hens is ideal, but can vary some because some may be more or less agressive breeding than others.

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We run one roo to five hens, but I've run as many as 15 or so hens to one roo in our free range chickens and a few hens still hide nests and hatch out chicks.

7. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    You can have 1 rooster and 1 hen together, no problem. It really just depends on the rooster. I have 5 roosters with a couple dozen hens right now and it works out great! There's a recommended ratio, but it really varies a LOT. You just have to see what works for you. One rooster and 6 or 20 hens should work fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by