Roo hurting hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Qi Chicken, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    One of our roos is a 19 week old EE. He is great with us but he is not good with the hens.

First of all he chases the heck out of them. They all scatter when he comes over, they actually seem scared of him. He begins mating all right but then he starts jerking their heads around, really pulling their head. He also seems to peck them on the head (hard) before he dismounts. Real [​IMG]. He also seems to stay on the hen a lot longer than necessary, just pulling on their heads. After he dismounts I just noticed today the hen just lays there, for up to five minutes before she gets up and fluffs up. I actually thought he killed one she layed there so long. That is not normal from what I have seen the other rooster do.

What is up with this guy? Agressive jerk or just a phase? Anything I can do to help out the hens? One rarely leaves the safety of the coop because of this and she is really missing out on all the free-ranging fun. He seems to torment her particularly.

Only 3 (maybe 4) of our 14 19 week old hens are laying.

We are getting rid of rooster #1 soon because he attacks people but he is very nice to the hens. They all run to him for protection and he will chase #2 to get him to stop chasing/hurting a hen, particularly the one that he seems most focused on. I thought maybe rooster #2 is being such a jerk to try to assert himself and if rooster #1 were gone he would stop this behavior????

MEN! Can't live with em, and in this case I think we could live without em.

2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Sounds like he is asking for an invitation to dinner. [​IMG]

3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Off with his head!!! You don't have to have a roo to get eggs. We have way more roosters than we needed and will start thinning them out when/if they start fighting or if they are too aggressive. I can't stand a bully!

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I wouldn't keep a roo that isn't kind to the ladies. That's animal cruelty [​IMG]

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Well if you haven't culled him yet, he certainly would have an appointment with my shrub clippers in the morning. That EE is just plain mean to your girls and isn't going to change. I have problems with EE Roos too, haven't kept one yet.

Let the other Roo that is nice to the girls stay and you need to be dominante to him. He comes running at you, stop what you are doing and stare him in the eye, until he walks off. If he does'nt, give him a shoo, loud and with arms flailing. He will. If he continues then pick him up and carry him around, with him backwards or upside down. I have never had to do that though.

I don't know, Roosters and Dogs just stop and look then turn away. While I am staring at them, I am thinking, make my day, I dare you, you will soon regret messing with me, I'll get my clippers and you are done for. Seems to work for me, try it out.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Get rid of both of them, and if you want fertile eggs get a more sensible rooster.

7. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Just dispatched my EE roo last night also. Jerk to the ladies. He was beautiful, but a rough bugger.
    If you don't mind waiting with the 2nd roo......sometimes their behavior changes after the competition is gone. Sometimes.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by