Roo in nesting box?

Buffmama

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Medina, NY
My DD has observed one of our roos sleeping in a nesting box. The other roos (3 of them) and our only girl sleep on top of the 4 boxes we have, but all crowded together on the first 2 boxes in which sleeps this lone roo. Is this unusual?
Jodi

For an adult bird to suddenly start taking to sleeping on the nest usually indicates disease or injury. I would check him at night, feel his keel to see if he's lost weight, feel his crop to see if it's hard and possibly blocked, keep an eye out to see what his poops look like, watch to see if he's lost status in the flock and become an outsider... Sometimes sick chickens just 'drop off the map' socially and that's the first symptom you may see... I would also watch to see if he is eating and drinking normally, and behaving normally during the day.

They aren't 5 months old yet. We had them in a hutch at night, but they were out growing it quickly so we decided to let them roost on top at night until the coop was finished. It's been so hot we didn't want to enclose the coop yet. So this isn't something new. Just what he's been doing since we allowed them to make their own sleeping arrangements. DD says he is eating and drinking and when treats are being offered he is right there in front to get his.:D Though I think I will check him tonight for the problems you suggest just to be on the safe side. Thanks.
Jodi

Ah, thanks for clarifying. If he's been doing it before it's not likely an issue, especially at his age. Best wishes to you and your flock.

If you would prefer me to use larger sized font, just let me know. :) (I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that you're writing larger because of a sight problem).

Yeah some days are better than others. Right now we are all down with a bad cold and I find reading the normal print difficult when I'm sick. I'll be back to normal in a few days. Hopefully ;o}

Jodi

Thank you we hope it's almost over too. Didn't even get half of what I wanted to get done today. Had 4 chickens escape around noon. And had to help my DDs (sick also) keep them out of the neighbors trees and get them at least closer to the run. Finally got them back into the run after about 3 hours. I just told the girls to sit under the trees with them and sing, tell stories and eat popsicles until the chickens relaxed and started eating out of their hands. They eventually wanted back in, but not as a group. When ready, one at a time mind you, they wandered back to the door of the coop. Then this evening while Sarah was changing their water, Jacob tried to make a break for it, but I was coming around the corner and saw him jump the door from their roost. I was able to corner him and toss him back in much to his dismay. LOL! Well gotta say good night all. Hopefully Sunday will be better. ;o}

Jodi

The sickness sure is dragging out into an epic saga. I trained my chooks to come when called but if they're not freeranging normally then everything can change when they do get loose, so I don't know what luck you'd have with that. Best wishes anyway.

Back
Top Bottom