1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo injured my hen....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Harley-Chick64, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Harley-Chick64

Harley-Chick64 New Egg

May 17, 2010
    I didnt realized this hen had been injured as she usually hangs out n the back of the coop... this hen is a favorite of our roos .. but it looks like he had a little more fun that usual.. she is now in the house.. and upon further examination it looks like this hole has been there for several days.. i sprayed with peroxide and smeared betadine ointment on and n the wound... what else can i do this looks nasty and the hole is very deep and over an inch wide.. she is eating...( her favorite gold fish crackers and feed ) . it also looks like the infection is on her leg now..

2. DelawareSilkie

DelawareSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Wait till the wounds heal, or the other chickens, not just your roos, will peck unmercilessly at it until she dies. As for your roo who did this, until he stops doing this, it's best to relocate him away from the hens or cull him. I had to relocate one of my rooster cause he was too aggressive with my girls. Best of luck to you.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Keep her warm and isolated until she is completely healed.
    Don't use the peroxide again as it can kill new tissue growth-use Neosporin without pain reliever on the wound itself.
    Add some vitamins/electrolytes to her water.
    I would also give injections of PenG Procaine-good for treating skin wounds/infections.
    Are you sure a rooster did this to her? Almost sounds like it could have been a predator?
    Good luck with her.

4. Harley-Chick64

Harley-Chick64 New Egg

May 17, 2010
    how do i post pictures..?? and usuaLLY my roo n his girls free range but with the snow they wont come out of the coop... .. and i have put him n our unused dog kennel...

5. Harley-Chick64

Harley-Chick64 New Egg

May 17, 2010
    No im pretty sure our roo did it.... with the cold nasty weather and snow weve been having the coop door has been closed except for when i check on them or feed.... this hen is his favorite..

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If infection has set in deep (as in not surficial at this point) she will likelu need oral or injectible antibiotics to beat back the bacteria. With it, she will probably make a beautiful recovery. Without, she's likely in big trouble. Time is of the essence if you think this has spread to her leg.
    JJ

7. Harley-Chick64

Harley-Chick64 New Egg

May 17, 2010
    just a little update.... Waddles is doing great.. she has been re -coopin in a dog crate in the house .... and the wound is slowly healing... but its looking good along with her leg.... shes even growing back her feathers that our Rooo has managed to keep away.. she;ll be a new hen by spring... she's loving all the attention of being inside too.... im soo happy she made it she is my favorite

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you still have the roo? I had one that was so agressive that most of my bantams wouldn't come out of the coop. so he is now in the freezer, but my other 2 roos are gentlemen.

9. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Glad to hear your hen is recovering. They really are amazing creatures. Last fall my roo gashed the side of his favorite hen. It looked horrible, but I followed the advice on BYC and it healed.

It may not have been aggression on the rooster's part. Watch his feet when he mounts a hen - it is no surprise accidents happen. Do you trim and smooth his spurs? The first thing I did after Boldy's injury was to look up spur removal. It isn't permanent, but my guy went from 2" spurs to a dull, cone shaped nub that is slowly growing back. I haven't had to trim them since removing them in November.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you still have the rooster, trim his toenails and remove his spurs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by