Roo injured my pullet..What to do??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cheeperchick, Jan 22, 2014.

1. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    I noticed my RIR pullet was limping so I picked her up and inspected under her wing to find that she has been injured, I'm assuming by my RIR cockerel mounting her too much. I isolated her and put some antibiotic spray. I'm not sure how old the injury is, but it did have a fowl smell. Any suggestions? Overall she's eating fine...just keeping her distance from everyone else

[​IMG]

Sorry for the blurry pic, DH took it while I was holding her.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could she have been injured by a predator? I would put her in a dog crate for her limping problem to rest the leg. Clean her injury under her wing by washing it off with peroxide or weak betadine to clean of any pus or dirt. Then after examining the wound, put Neosporin ointment without pain medicine on the wound and reapply daily. Look for any puncture wounds, and open them up with more peroxide. Keep them open for a few days if possible. Since you have noticed a foul smell it may be infected. An antibiotic such as a cephalosprin or clavamox might help if you can get one from your vet.

3. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    Ok. I will try to put peroxide tomorrow. I don't think it's a puncture wound, but then again I was looking at it from an angle. Her back, along with my black star's backs have less feathers from the cockerel mounting--the rir having it the worst. I don't think it it's a predator--they are inside a covered coop/run most of the day and have supervised free-ranging for about an hour and a half a day. There are no holes in the coop or run where a predator may have gotten in.

I have her in the 'Peck n Play' i bought from Murray McMurray a while back with food, water, and some straw and a mini roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by