Roo is aggressive to one bird

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DrChickenKev, Nov 11, 2011.

1. DrChickenKev

DrChickenKev Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    Hi,

Amongst our ever-increasing flock we recently introduced, about 2 months ago, a bantam roo (possibly a welsummer?) to our flock of girls thats made up of 3 hybrid ex batts ad we think one orpington and one black rock.

Now, the roo did get a bit of stick off the girls one day one, bleeding comb etc. so we introduced him slowly over 3 weeks to one or two girls at a time. Anyway, hes definitely 'managing' them all now.

However, I've noticed over the past two weeks that he seems to be bullying the black rock hen (Miriam) much more than the others to the point that she seperates herself from the other girls during most of the day unless I bring food as he does go for her. Now Ive no doubt this isnt quite the good thing to allow, but even stranger is that they are usually tucked up side by side in the same nest box at bedtime!!!

?????????????????????????????????

Is this something to do with colours as all the other chickens are orange/red? Does he think Miriam is another roo?? And does she or he need separating, and if so which one(s) and for how long?

Grrrr.....

2. DrChickenKev

DrChickenKev Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    Thought I'd add some pics to see if it helped, feel free to let me know breeds etc...

First, the favoured girls...

[​IMG]

Then Mizzie, the bullied one (Black Rock), looking worse for wear but its just her moulting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, the bantam roo (Welsummer? Might be Well good winter meal if he carries on...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by