ROO IS BITING ALL

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by richchicks, Apr 17, 2012.

1. richchicks

richchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2012
    I have a roo that is part Maran, part who knows from what I can gather. He is about 10 weeks old and DEFINITELY rules the roost! In the last couple of days he has started biting the other chickens. They were all raised together. One other is a roo like the biter. The others are Aracauna. He does not bite me YET!. Only when he was in the brooder did he let me hold him and he would perch on my arm while I did the chores. But since being able to roam he is not socialable.

Any ideas on the biting? Maybe to the Crock Pot?

2. wsonphan80

wsonphan80 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Pioneer, CA
    Your little boy is growing up and just doing what he's supposed to do. Letting the other chickens know who's boss! LOL. As long as a rooster doesn't start attacking me or my family and friends he's ok. I think he's just establishing his position but if he is just mean and rough with the ladies on the regular then he can plan on having a dinner appointment ;) Especially since you have the other roo with no signs of aggression. I'd give him a little while to grow out of it though because he's still young. But if he doesn't change then there are plenty of nice, sweet roosters out there

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I personally would put up with a nasty abusive roo as far as I'd put up with a nasty and abusive man in my house. Which is not at all. There are plenty more fish in the sea, who are romantic and kind :). Gentlemen roos are SO much healthier for their flocks, your girls will thank you.

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    He's young and they're especially fiesty when young...he certainly may get worse once his horomones start to rage, but then again, he may not. Chickens do have a pecking order, and it is called that for a reason. So I guess it depends...is he pecking to put them in their place, or is he chasing them around and just pecking them all to peck? If the former, then he's doing his thing, and if the latter, I'd get rid of him.

Keep in mind, though, that if you've got two roos then you're likely to going to have at least a few fights. If you don't have enough hens to go around (like at least 8-10/roo) the fighting is likely to get real ugly at some point.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  5. richchicks

richchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2012

What do you think the outcome would be if I quarantined this roo for a lil while, especially while the chicks are out in the run? I am trying to combine some younger chicks. He definitely already shows aggression (whose boss) to these by walking on top of their cage trying to peck them? I fenced off a lil area in the run yesterday to let the younger chicks have some exercise. Roo was on the other side of the fence going nuts....if he could foam at the mouth like a dog, I believe he would have been [​IMG]

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    That's because any new additions will upset the pecking order. It's normal for him to get a little crazy because he wants to make sure the n00bz know that he's the boss. If the new ones aren't about the same size as the rest of your flock, then you should wait until they are before introducing. Even the hens will have a go at new members and can be just as aggressive and lethal as any roo.

If you separate the roo, it MAY help some, but if you keep him out more than a week, then he's going to be nuts towards everyone just trying to reclaim his position as the flock master when you bring him back. So regardless of which way you go, I'd still say to keep the new ones (if they're ready) out with the existing flock but in a suitably sized cage for at least a week or more. Let everyone froth and foam and have their fits without being able to actually hurt each other. After that, start giving everyone some free range time together and see how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by