Roo Issue

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Equest94, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    We have 2 roosters (and hens...more hens to come this spring). Our roos have been raised together since they were a few days old and never had any major issues with one another; sure, they'll get into little squabbles, but nothing ever went past staring at each other and the occasional "pounce/lunge" at the other.

We have a good size coop that has a good size run attached to it and open the coop door every morning to let them out and shut it once they go back at night; however, it's been so bitterly cold lately (we're taking about wind chill advisories reaching -19), that we starting monitoring and limiting their time outside and to the run...we only let them out to eat and drink and close them up again... to to be cruel, just for health and safety reasons. The problem occurred a few days ago... I went out to check on them and feed them and as I opened the coop door, there was blood splattered EVERYWHERE! It looked like an image from some murder/war movie. I grabbed all the chickens out to check on them...the one that was hurt was our red roo - Gin, and I only assume that our other roo did this since our hens are very mellow and docile. Anyways, Gin had been badly pecked right at the base of his comb... I heard that the comb has a huge blood supply so that is the reason why he was bleeding so much...he also had some feathers ripped out of him; nothing really bad or life threating, but it made me think.

I heard that if roos are raised together, they should be fine overall, but is this wrong? Gin has always been the more dominate rooster and the other has always been more "shy" and laid back..could this have possibly been a dominance squabble that just went too far? Do I have to get rid of a roo, or did this happen only because of the limited space and time outside? When the weather was more decent and they were out more...nothing like this happened before... so I assume it's because of us keeping them in.

[I brought Gin inside our mud room and cleaned him up; took a paper towel and wiped off his comb and face. I put some neosporin on his wounds and later a little "Wonder Dust" (normally used on horses to help dry and clot wounds). We kept him in our garage just to let him heal for the night and he's doing well.] - When should we bring him back to the coop, or should we even at all?

Also, slightly off this topic... but I noticed that at the top of Gin's comb, it turns black...the the tips look like they were air brushed and he has a few black speckles at the base or the comb and a few on his waddle... our other roo doesn't have any black... is the black just coloration or is it like a disease/sickness? I never say black on any other comb/waddle before so I'm a bit confused. (I'm sorry, I don't have good pictures of this).

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I would think that the change in routine is leading to some stress and them being "cooped up" together is leading to fighting. I live in CT and despite weather they go out. They do fine in the cold, IMO. THey head in if they want too if they feel more comfortable in there.

Sounds like you are doing everything right caring for your roo. Im sure he will do well. I would think integrating him nack in sooner than later will be better. The longer he is out, the more he is perceived as an outsider when you try to intorduce him back in.

Good luck.

3. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I just went through the same sort of thing but it involved 3 birds. The black that you are seeing is just dried blood / scabs. I will go away. Once a good butt kicking had been issued, don't be surprised if it happens again. I had to remove one of my birds and just left the two big birds in the coop together. They will thump on each other once in a while but seem to be surviving around one and another. Mine were also raise together from the start and the one that got the worst of it was a roo that is about 4 years older than the others. He had always been top dog but evidentally they decided that they were tired of being second in charge. Good Luck

4. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    Also, slightly off this topic... but I noticed that at the top of Gin's comb, it turns black...the the tips look like they were air brushed and he has a few black speckles at the base or the comb and a few on his waddle... our other roo doesn't have any black... is the black just coloration or is it like a disease/sickness? I never say black on any other comb/waddle before so I'm a bit confused. (I'm sorry, I don't have good pictures of this).

If the black you are describing is on the tips of the comb and then there are black spots on the comb and wattles it is most likely frost bite. Massage some vaseline on the comb and wattles. The rubbing massage gets the blood flowing and the vaseline provides a coating that helps protect from frost bite. (Tip: don't put a lot of vaseline! The heat from the comb and wattles will melt it and it gets all over them)​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by