1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo Jelasey

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yellowchick, Apr 7, 2009.

1. yellowchick

yellowchick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2008
    C, Arkansas
    I have two BO roo's right now and 7 BO hens 1 (maybe) BR hen - waiting to see....I have been waiting to cull one of thr roos, waiting to see which will be the friedlier of the 2. Is it normal for a young roo to show jelasey when I'm around the hens? I have only had one of them jump on my leg and flap his wings at me when trying to gather the hens up...after kicking him in the head and chasing him off he hasn't tried that again....but if I'm trying to give the girls a treat, he'll but in and push them out of the way and peck them to get them to walk off. I've only noticed this from one of the roos but it's the one that matured faster than the other. I haven't seen any aggrestion between the 2 and they "share" the hens willingly between themselves.

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    The aggressive roo is showing you that he is the boss and trying to keep you away from the flock. Even if he was a sweet young cockeral, he has now matured to the point that he sees himself as the flockmaster and could pose a danger to you or your family. If you use the BYC search bar at the upper right and type in "rooster attack" you'll find lots of experiences with aggressive roosters. Good luck with your flock, yellowchick!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with cityclucks. The rooster has gotten it into his tiny little head that he is the boss. You need to teach him differently. I can tell by the stink eye my rooster gives me that he doesn't like me handling the hens, but he knows trying to do anything about it would be painful for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by