Roo laying on eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kyleigh, Oct 22, 2016.

1. kyleigh

kyleigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    One of my hens just started laying eggs. When I went to the coop today, what I'm 90% sure is a rooster, was laying in the nest. Do the roosters lay on the eggs, or am I mistaken and he's a hen?

2. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    That's funny, maybe he wants to be a hen, or is he young and the only cockerel and not sure yet? Maybe he's a pullet with a large comb? A couple of my comets have a large comb. GC

3. kyleigh

Apr 2, 2016
    He is one of two roosters. His comb is fairly small, what makes me think hes a rooster is his tail. He also just kind of has that rooster look to him. He is also about 22 weeks old

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    My roosters frequently will sit in a nest box or other 'nesting' spot to show the girls that he thinks it's a great place to lay those eggs. I have a few pullets who refuse to lay in a box until her 'man' has given his approval. Chicken drama. It's hilarious.

5. kyleigh

Apr 2, 2016
    HAHA! It turns out there was an egg under him... Maybe he was keeping it warm

6. kyleigh

Apr 2, 2016
    As soon as I get my computer working I will post pics of him.

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Nothing wrong with a fella showing his "feminine side" [​IMG]

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My roo loves to climb in a nest box, or a likely nesting corner, squirm around, fluff the bedding, and chuckle up a storm. He's quite the family man, very interested in the whole egg to chick agenda.

9. kyleigh

Apr 2, 2016
    I believe he/ she is a hen, as I saw him/ her in the nesting box again today. The one that I know is a hen, Hasn't been in the best yet, and there are only two that lay brown eggs. [​IMG][​IMG]

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    100% female. Just look at how rounded those back feathers are. What on earth made you think she was a rooster?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by