Roo legs?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by llnmaw, Mar 14, 2011.

1. llnmaw

llnmaw Chirping

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    I'm not certain on the age of this chick, but know that my others are just 3 weeks and this one appeared to be about a week older when we bought it.

Australorp chick...any hope its a pullet? It seems giant compared to our 3 week olds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    ~L.

2. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Songster

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    It could be a Black Jersey Giant. [​IMG] They look a lot like Australorps when they're that age but they'll be bigger.

3. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Songster

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Oh, and by the way: [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. llnmaw

llnmaw Chirping

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Hmmm....perhaps a photo of her as a wee one can confirm her breed?

[​IMG]

Thanks for the welcome!!
    ~L.

5. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Songster

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Yup, that's a Jersey Giant chick for sure.

But don't let this one's size scare you or anything as far as getting along with the others. They're very gentle giants. This breed is known for having a very sweet and calm temperament, even towards much smaller breeds; they even get along with cats and small children. [​IMG]

(Edited for grammatical issues. That's what I get for watching Dragonball Z and trying to type this at the same time.)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  6. llnmaw

llnmaw Chirping

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Really?

Hmmm...I really wanted an australorp!! She was in a bin full of matching chicks so apparently the entire bin was mis-marked eh? I'm sorta bummed, not cause she is a Jersey Giant...just that she is not an australorp, but she is sweet. I'm limited to very few chickens and chose our breeds carefully since this will be it until these girls die. Guess I'll do some reading on Jersey Giants. I bet my roosts will need to be on the low end of things having Orpingtons and now a Giant.

So...any ideas as to if she is...a she?

Thanks.
    ~L.

7. jenesis536

jenesis536 Songster

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I would hesitate to call her a JG... I questioned my BA a LOT until I finally got to believing I had a BA. First, BA have red ear lobes but mine had white - UNTIL about 18 weeks! I ran the gamut of all other kinds of black birds because people didn't think it was a BA in the pictures. Mine was ALWAYS larger than my other chicks of different breeds, even though they were the same age. They look similar as chicks and adults.

One way to tell with the BAs and JGs is the JGs will have yello under their feet (like on their palms). My BA's palms were a creamy color.

I was bummed thinking I didn't have a BA and that is what I picked - but give it some time. Mine turned out to be a BA, but it took awhile to confirm and also to know for sure about the gender.

I'm guessing a pullet by the photos.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  8. llnmaw

llnmaw Chirping

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Quote:YAY! I really hope so because THAT is what I really care about.

Though I will check the feet. I did some research and thought I read that JG have black legs with yellow toes...my chick has black legs a with pink toes.

Poor thing could never win a leg contest, she has cankles!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: