Roo mating Banties

Armageddon

Songster
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
Southern California
I have 16 chickens and 1 roo. Mister was a "hen" that turned out a roo, which is fine. He was raised with 14 of the girls, they are 14 weeks old. Mister has just come into his own. Started crowing recently and a few days ago I noticed he was trying to mate with my two banty hens, they are so small compared to him.
idunno.gif

The banties are older not sure of their age, they have been laying for several months. Mister only seems interested in mating them, last night he even slept in their "coop" first time ever, he usually sleeps with the girls he was hatched with.....

The banties dont look bad (yet) but it seems (sounds) like he hurts them. The Banties... up until a few days ago were at the top of the pecking order....but not now, the Roo definately is

Is there any issue with him mating them? I can't believe these chicken antics and how things change....

Oh and if it's okay for him to mate them...how long before their eggs are fertile???

Thanks all....

I'm worried about the same thing. I have one standard (EE) rooster and 8 grown up standard pullets of various breeds, and have added 2 Wellsummers, a BR, and a bantam cochin. They're about 4 months old now. Have 4 more chicks in the brooder, about 6 wks old, which are all bantams.

I don't want FLATTENED (or injured) banties; they're already midget chickens.

I have some tiny bantam cochins and a standard ee roo. Two of the bantams seem to be his favorites - they're losing feathers on their backs and heads. They're fine though - he doesn't hurt them at all.

If he is mating the bantams, their eggs are fertile now. Depending on how large he is and how small they are, yes he can injure them. If you have ever seen the damage a rooster can do to a standard hen with his toenails or spurs, just imagine what he could do to a bantam.

I don't let my standard roos mate with the banties - it can seriously hurt them. Once my big Orpington roo tried to mate with my little Old English Game Hen, he'd pinned one of her wings and was standing on it and holding it at an odd angle trying to balance on her back and she was screaming! He couldn't get their parts to line up because he was crushing her into the dirt, but he kept trying. I rescued her and she recovered, but I wasn't taking any more chances. I moved all the banties to a seperate pen.

If you want banty/standard crosses, cross a banty roo with standard girls. Now that's comical - watching the contortions he has to put himself through to get the parts to line up and if the girls don't want to deal with him, they just get up and walk away - with him on their back.
lau.gif

Quote:
I know what your talking about. I had a splash orphington hen that ws huge. She could have passed for a turkey dressed out. My only rooster at the time was a bantam long tail. It was hilarious when he decided to give it a try. There is no way he could have completed the job but it was funny to see. She just walked around like he wasn't even there while he was giving it his best shot.
lau.gif
gig.gif

This is my Thor (a LF brahma) with Maggie (my accidental bantam brahma):

thorandmaggie.jpg

In two years Thor has never hurt her by mating. The worse she has gotten is some mussed up feathers, but even my big girls get that from time to time. Of course I could just have an exceptionally gentle roo....

Back
Top Bottom