Roo mating normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SuburbanChickFarmer, Nov 3, 2008.

1. SuburbanChickFarmer

SuburbanChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    I have a light brahma roo, who is currently about 9-10 lbs. He's large. I have 9 hens in his coop for him to mate with, however, the 2 light brahmas must be too young yet because he doesn't try to mate with them. He does mate with my other hens which are Dominiques, Cucko Marans, and EEs. When he tries to mate with the hens, they RUN from him. He eventually catches one, mates with them, all the while they are crying and whimpering. It is very sad to me but then I thought maybe this is normal? My girls are probably around 5-6 lbs. Is he maybe just too big for them? When he jumps on top of them and holds them on the ground I can imagine he's pretty heavy, since he's twice their size. Someone with more experience than me help me out here please! I really don't want to get rid of him because he's a nice roo, very loving to his human anyway! He doesn't crow very loud too and he's a good protector to the girls. Suggestions?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My experience has been that the girls only ran away and tried to fight the roos off until they were of laying age then they submitted peacefully. However, all my hens are the same breed (brahmas) as my roosters, so the roos are not too big for them. My girls do show a preference for my alpha roo over my other roo. I'm not sure if that's because he is the alpha or because he's alot smaller than my other roo.

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Are the hens he is mating with older? Were they without a rooster for a while? They may be running away because they are not accepting him. Give it time it'll probably settle down. The actual act of mating does look a little rough though. he kind of grabs them at the neck, hops on does the job, and off he goes. Kind of slam bam thank you ma'am. [​IMG]

4. SuburbanChickFarmer

SuburbanChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    All of my hens and one roo are the same age. My girls just started laying about 3 weeks ago and aren't laying much due to the short days. The Light Brahmas aren't laying at all, so that's why I assumed he wasn't mating with them. When he first starting mating with them, they screamed bloody murder and I just assumed that this was all new to them and the screaming would stop and the screaming has stopped, it's now just a whimper when he does finally catch them. Also, when first mating, they didn't run from him, maybe they didn't know better or maybe because he wasn't as big as he is now. The whimpering is what is getting to me. I want to be sure he's not hurting them. They literally run from him and will try to fly away from him as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by