Roo mating pullet and other pouty hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ClewisOK, Jan 21, 2014.

1. ClewisOK

ClewisOK Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    Mustang, OK
    Hi all,

Two questions for the experts:

1) My buff brahma rooster is mating my welsummer lady, but she hasn't even started to lay. She is exactly 8 months old today. Should they be separated, or is she old enough to put up with him? She does not squat, but he doesn't seem overly rough either.

2) I moved the flock to a nice new chicken palace, and my hen stopped laying. It's only been a few days, but I'd been getting an egg every day from a barred rock. Tonight is the first time they've gone into the coop at dusk on their own so I'm hoping she's settling in. How long can a hen "hold it" when adjusting? I know it takes time to make an egg but she should've had one "on deck" the day of the move.

Just curious!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If she had one 'on deck' it would have been laid. They can't hold it very long. Ovulation happens, it can't be willed or mentally controlled.
    Once ovulation begins, the egg will come in 25 hours. Chickens are creatures of habit. Changes cause stress. Stress stops ovulation.
    It won't matter that he is breeding her. The semen will be stored for 3 weeks or more in the sperm storage glands and probably won't make it to the infundibulum until an egg is laid and squeezes some out.

On a side note, if you have any birds that aren't laying eggs, the feed should not be a 4% calcium layer ration.

3. ClewisOK

ClewisOK Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    Mustang, OK
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by