roo mating question.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Metalace, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Metalace

Metalace Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2008
    Talladega, AL
    I bought a flock of chickens in oct. I have one big pen that has a small fence between. One half has my 6 big gurls. The other my pullets n 2 roos. Well one of my roos decided to fly over to my big girls side. So i just removed the middle fence. Since the big girls dont mess with my younger pullets. But now my roos are all mating my big girls. I really dont want them to. Is there anyway to stop them? I have a cage that I built its 39 inches wide each side and 25 and a half inches tall. Is it possible to put both of my roos in it? Ones a brown leghorn and the others a turken.

**edited for content**

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2008
  2. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    it's not a good idea they will fight. if ya don't want peeps hatching don't let them set, take the eggs. u can still eat fertilized eggs as long as kept cool and they don't start forming from being heated up. we've eaten both they taste the same but can be a mental thing some people won't eat them. took me awhile before i could learn to eat them,lol.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Unless you seperate the roo's from the hens, the mating will continue.

That cage is too small to keep both roo's in.

Maybe put the fence back up and keep the roo's on one side?

4. Metalace

Metalace Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2008
    Talladega, AL
    I just dont want them to rip all my babies back feathers off. I have one rhode island red with her back feathers gone from my dead roo. Do they grow back when they molt or will it be bald forever?

5. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    What about putting the middle fence back up and covering either or both sides with poultry or deer netting? The roo's will continue to fly over if given the chance; this way they can't.

When I got my chickens several hens were roo damaged, badly. The only thing you can do is separate them.

Good luck.

6. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    we use saddles if ours do that or it's close to show time just incase to help prevent it or we seperate them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by