Roo meets new hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ursmyrick, May 5, 2008.

1. ursmyrick

ursmyrick New Egg

May 5, 2008
    I have a black japanese bantam roo & I just got a new black silkie hen (the other passed away.) Last night when I tried to introduce them the roo with the hen the roo went nuts! It jumped all over the new hen tearing, biting & jumping all over it. He actually bit off a piece of her comb. What to do? The hen was terrified. I immediately seperated the two.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I take it he wasn't this aggressive with his last girlfriend?

I'd put the hen in a wire cage and place the cage in the area where you keep the rooster. Let them hang like that for a time, this will let them familiarize themselves with each other. Make sure she's got food and water as well as shade if you keep them outside. Try to re-introduce them in a week or so without the cage in the way.

3. ursmyrick

ursmyrick New Egg

May 5, 2008
    Well actually we had two roosters. The person we purchased them from said they were a "pair"- yeah a pair of dudes! Those two got along quite well & I never noticed them becoming aggressive with one another.
    Scarlett (the rooster, formerly Rhett & Scarlett) has been having a tough time since Rhett had died so we figured he was lonely. I appreciate the advice, hopefully the two of them will start to get along.

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Ohh, he's never been around a girl before. His hormones probably went into overdrive and he didn't know how to handle it. Just give him and her some time to settle down and everything should work out. [​IMG]

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by