Roo missing feathers, scab and red skin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thomps Hens, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Thomps Hens

Thomps Hens Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2013
    Ohio
    We have a 6 month old Barred Rock Roo and noticed a few weeks ago that on his behind he is losing feathers and has red skin on his butt. Since there were feathers coming in I just thought it may be a molt, but now it is continuing further down and now up on either side of his tail as well with a scab on each side. Also noticed a small spot of green skin on the side by his tail where the feathers are missing. Is this normal? I always thought chicken skin was completely yellow. He eats well and acts just as rotten as ever. Please see the attached pics. Lice? Mites? Plucking? We have 9 hens in addition to this Roo and none of them exhibit any signs of feather loss etc. I use DE in the coop and run...should I dust with Seven or is this not a parasite?

[​IMG] PIC #1 This is just above the vent
    [​IMG] PIC #2 This is below the vent leading to the underside
    [​IMG] PIC #3 This is on either side of the tail like where the hip would be.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. veramoomoo

veramoomoo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    she is just molting!!! mine have that too, it is just a stage!!

3. Thomps Hens

May 29, 2013
    Ohio
    I wouldn't think that the area on His backside would be so red though if he was just molting....

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  4. Thomps Hens

May 29, 2013
    Ohio
    Any ideas? :(

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be mites or he could be picking his own feathers. I would look closely on his skin and especially after dark with a flashlight. The chicken or red mite only comes out at night. There is a certain disease that can cause a chicken to pick there own vent. Another chicken may be doing it. If you sit with them for awhile, you might notice what is going on. Make sure they have at least 16% protein, plenty of room to roam, and some things to do to prevent boredom.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by