Roo? Not 100% sure...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CaptnGreever, Aug 6, 2014.

1. CaptnGreever

CaptnGreever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

So this is my Bach... Been a few weeks and I'm still not certain! Turns out he's(?) the most timid of the group. Hasn't tried to crow at all. Doesn't make any noise whatsoever actually. Never fights for food, no longer challenges any of the others...
    I'm at a loss. Still only about 10 weeks I think... But I thought I'd see more attitude if he was a roo??? Maybe this is just a lady that looks like a dude? Lol

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    My guess would be cockerel.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    100% roo with the pointy saddle and hackle feathers, nad a large comb for 10 weeks

1 person likes this.
  4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Handsome fellow and I love his colors! Sometimes the roosters grow a bit slower. At least that's how it's been for me with my past roosters.

I think he looks like a roo. I think I'm seeing saddle feathers and that's quite a comb and waddles.....My vote is boy!

:)

1 person likes this.
  5. emma p

emma p Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Kansas
    Cockerel! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    rooster. has pointed hackle(neck) and saddle(back) feathers coming in. Roosters are usually very friendly as chicks. if there are other roosters, he could be the lowest one.

I have a pair of roosters that grew up together and are now in the same breeding pen. The dominate rooster has a larger comb, and has longer, brighter sickle/tail and saddle feathers. they are the same breed and color from the same parents, but one is the dominate one.

1 person likes this.
  7. CaptnGreever

Jun 11, 2014
    Shew... Thanks!! I was worried! I'm glad that if he's a roo he's less aggressive. I have dogs and not much need for an aggressive roo!

I've always been told to look for pointy saddle/neck feathers but I just can't see it! They all seem round to me! Haha

If you're willing, here's my other questionable foul... I'm pretty sure it's a black australorpe and i thought pullet, but the tail feathers resemble my roo's too much with how they stand up and out. This isn't a good example of what I'm talking about, but maybe you can get the idea?

[​IMG]

8. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    these are saddle feathers coming in on a young rooster. they start coming in around 4 months old

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. CaptnGreever

Jun 11, 2014
    Okay now THAT I can tell!! I guess I'm just impatient and mine are still too young to really be able to see the points Iike that! :p

10. Anuthatch

Anuthatch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    Saratoga County, NY
    That is a really helpful picture of pointy feathers. I too have been having trouble seeing pointy. [​IMG] Thanks a bunch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by